The arrest in China of four GlaxoSmithKline executives on charges of bribery highlights an important reality that companies ignore at their peril. As we have seen in other areas, most notably in financial crime or money laundering, the ways and means of committing a criminal act can and do evolve. A trench-coated operative wearing dark […]
About Karen EggerKaren Egger is Senior Programme Manager in Transparency International's Private Sector Team.
The bail out of the troubled banking sector in Cyprus has taken on serious political overtones as the crisis deepens. During the past few weeks Cyprus has been accused of failing to combat money laundering and fraud and that Russian oligarchs seek refuge for their money in this “tax haven” country. Now the strongest members […]
The moral relativism that traditionally infects multinationals in hot, corrupt countries is going out of style.” This is according to Jonathan Guthrie of the Financial Times, in discussing the decision of HSBC to close down its operations in Panama (Corruption Perceptions Index score in 2012: 38 out of 100). The decision was purportedly to increase […]
How banks implement international financial sanctions may not strike many as the sexiest news story of the day, but its importance comes alive when one remembers that holding a banking license and taking deposits from the public at large is not a right, but a privilege. It is bestowed on certain companies by the public […]
Scandals such as the revelations of banks misleading regulators on LIBOR are further eroding people’s trust in companies. Two in three Europeans, for example, believe that corruption is part of their country’s business culture. One of steps for companies to restore trust is by publicly reporting on their anti-bribery measures. Once a company has done […]
On July 10, Transparency International issued a report showing that the world’s biggest companies are disclosing more about their measures for preventing corruption, but not so much of their financial data in the countries where they operate. Investors should take note of these findings. Risks associated with corruption can have devastating damaging effects on a […]
The recent global financial crisis highlighted the need to broaden the discussion about regulation and oversight of the financial system. Transparency and related risk assessments of financial institutions have surged to the top of the agenda. In our study on transparency and disclosure of measures for reducing corruption risk among the world’s largest companies published […]
This week the heads of state from the G20 are meeting in Mexico, where we hope they will take action to meet their 2009 promise to end bank secrecy. One step already taken is making tax evasion a predicate offence for money laundering. What does that mean? Money laundering is defined as taking the proceeds […]
- Thuli Madonsela: Corruption eats away at the soul of the nation 17 October 2014
- “Perspectives from the North” – corruption lessons for the Czech Republic 14 October 2014
- الوصول إلى المعلومات: فعل جماعيّ، أصوات جماعيّة 14 October 2014
- Access to information: collective action; collective voices 13 October 2014
- What does monitoring campaign finance tell us about Czech elections? 6 October 2014
- Judiciary the weakest link in Cambodia’s Integrity System 29 September 2014
- Piketty: Diagnosing inequality and prescribing a dose of anti-corruption 25 August 2014
- G20 Meets to Act on Corporate Taxes – But More Needed on Corruption 18 September 2014
- Philippines: Stories from the fight against corruption 12 September 2014
- Working together to stop fake agricultural products in Uganda 28 August 2014
- Nicholas Griffin: Well done Transparency International (Cambodia) fo...
- Colin Peters: Here in the United Kingdom our problems concerning...
- Another exposure of why governments need to protect their citezens in Cambodia | 201010blog: […] Read the full article here… [̷...
- “No Impunity” Needs to be the Rule for Corrupt Politicians and Corporations | Frank Vogl: […] of this article appeared on the website ...
- frank williams: Girlks, what you doing is great but do NOT under a...
Latest news from Transparency International
Error: Feed is temporarily unavailable