The past few months have seen major scandals in defence procurement involving The Colombian Defence Ministry, AgustaWestland and the UK government, Rolls-Royce and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and Kongsberg Gruppen. The ghosts of corruption past are coming back to haunt these institutions. We’ve also seen major new contracts announced: BAE Systems and Saudi Arabia have agreed […]
About Leah WawroLeah Wawro works for the International Defence and Security Programme at Transparency International UK.
This article was first published on Trustlaw Yesterday, the British ‘businessman’ James McCormick was found guilty of fraud for selling millions of pounds worth of utterly useless bomb detectors to governments around the world, including a major contract in Iraq. A whistleblower alleges that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to at least 15 […]
Maria Gili and Leah Wawro of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme outline obstacles to more transparency and accountability in how countries spend their defence budgets. Defence budgets are the primary tool that legislators and civil society can use to hold their governments and armed forces to account and see how their taxes are […]
Leah Wawro is Project Officer with Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme. Corruption in the defence and security sectors comes at a high price. Secretive arms deals, rigged procurement, and the long, often unaccountable chain of subcontractors in conflicts, mean that corruption often goes undiscovered and unreported. It is only when scandals are uncovered that […]
- Time for action: Lebanese citizens against corruption 22 April 2014
- Fighting for workers’ rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina 16 April 2014
- Anti-corruption street art: lend me your wall 15 April 2014
- Arte callejero anticorrupción: Préstame tu pared 15 April 2014
- Bangladesh factory safety in spotlight 10 April 2014
- Russian money: too big to sanction? 10 March 2014
- Teaching integrity in schools: Lessons from Italy 14 March 2014
- Eu to freeze corrupt assets from Ukraine 5 March 2014
- Germany is ready to sign UNCAC – at last 26 February 2014
- Champion for women’s rights in Pakistan 3 March 2014
- Thomasena Vanvolkinburg: I know this if off topic but I'm looking into sta...
- Lizeth Anslinger: Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your...
- News from Transparency International | C Suite Mentors Nest: […] the blog: Time for action: Lebanese cit...
- Steven M. Hird: Might be near impossible to see well-advised visit...
- Ramon N. Zuniga: You'll find it near close to impossible to find w...