The past few months have seen major scandals in defence procurement involving The Colombian Defence Ministry, AgustaWestland and the UK government, Rolls-Royce and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and Kongsberg Gruppen. The ghosts of corruption past are coming back to haunt these institutions. We’ve also seen major new contracts announced: BAE Systems and Saudi Arabia have agreed […]
About Leah WawroLeah Wawro works for the International Defence and Security Programme at Transparency International UK.
This article was first published on Trustlaw Yesterday, the British ‘businessman’ James McCormick was found guilty of fraud for selling millions of pounds worth of utterly useless bomb detectors to governments around the world, including a major contract in Iraq. A whistleblower alleges that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to at least 15 […]
Maria Gili and Leah Wawro of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme outline obstacles to more transparency and accountability in how countries spend their defence budgets. Defence budgets are the primary tool that legislators and civil society can use to hold their governments and armed forces to account and see how their taxes are […]
Leah Wawro is Project Officer with Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme. Corruption in the defence and security sectors comes at a high price. Secretive arms deals, rigged procurement, and the long, often unaccountable chain of subcontractors in conflicts, mean that corruption often goes undiscovered and unreported. It is only when scandals are uncovered that […]
- Un viraje clave hacia la lucha contra la corrupción para la iniciativa de la OGP 28 October 2014
- A Critical Pivot towards Anti-corruption for the OGP Initiative 28 October 2014
- Speaking up for Greek whistleblowers 28 October 2014
- No a la impunidad: la ley se abre paso en las investigaciones 24 October 2014
- No impunity: the law steps in to investigate 22 October 2014
- Judiciary the weakest link in Cambodia’s Integrity System 29 September 2014
- G20 Meets to Act on Corporate Taxes – But More Needed on Corruption 18 September 2014
- Philippines: Stories from the fight against corruption 12 September 2014
- Thuli Madonsela: Corruption eats away at the soul of the nation 17 October 2014
- Money-laundering: too important to leave to the experts alone 21 October 2014
- VKGupta, India: Great, we in India also need such dedication to er...
- Peter Kumwenda: This is a good step taken by the United States. In...
- Thuli Madonsela- Integrity Award Winner 2014 | Transparency International-Philippines: […] Read our Q+A with Thuli Madonsela here....
- Chris: Hi Max Interesting article, the only flaw with ...
- Money Laundering: Too Important To Leave To The Experts Alone « Financial Transparency Coalition: […] Read this blog in Spanish here. […...
Latest news from Transparency International
Error: Feed is temporarily unavailable