The past few months have seen major scandals in defence procurement involving The Colombian Defence Ministry, AgustaWestland and the UK government, Rolls-Royce and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and Kongsberg Gruppen. The ghosts of corruption past are coming back to haunt these institutions. We’ve also seen major new contracts announced: BAE Systems and Saudi Arabia have agreed […]
About Leah WawroLeah Wawro works for the International Defence and Security Programme at Transparency International UK.
This article was first published on Trustlaw Yesterday, the British ‘businessman’ James McCormick was found guilty of fraud for selling millions of pounds worth of utterly useless bomb detectors to governments around the world, including a major contract in Iraq. A whistleblower alleges that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to at least 15 […]
Maria Gili and Leah Wawro of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme outline obstacles to more transparency and accountability in how countries spend their defence budgets. Defence budgets are the primary tool that legislators and civil society can use to hold their governments and armed forces to account and see how their taxes are […]
Leah Wawro is Project Officer with Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme. Corruption in the defence and security sectors comes at a high price. Secretive arms deals, rigged procurement, and the long, often unaccountable chain of subcontractors in conflicts, mean that corruption often goes undiscovered and unreported. It is only when scandals are uncovered that […]
- Give us our daily scandal 26 March 2015
- Bribery: ‘redesign public services to cut risk’ 25 March 2015
- Measuring development: why statistics matter 16 March 2015
- Chile must reform political party financing laws 5 March 2015
- El Poder de la Pregunta en El Salvador 2 March 2015
- Secrecy breeds corruption 11 February 2015
- Corruption from Afghanistan and Russia to the USA: 3 new books 2 February 2015
- To the new Greek government: keep your promise to fight corruption 27 January 2015
- Supporting security and development in the Americas 2 February 2015
- Fighting corruption head-on in South-East Asia 2 February 2015
- India beats China at tackling corruption, but not by much - Firstpost: […] On its blog on the findings, Transparenc...
- Wilbur: I had high hopes for this website - but now I see ...
- Entre 175 países, Brasil fica em 69º lugar em ranking mundial de corrupção | O Jornal de Hoje: […] sua análise sobre os resultados da Amé...
- Secrecy breeds corruption | Transparency International-Philippines: […] Transparency International by Kevin [...
- Eva Sarr: Hello Paul I enjoyed your blog. Could you tell ...