The past few months have seen major scandals in defence procurement involving The Colombian Defence Ministry, AgustaWestland and the UK government, Rolls-Royce and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and Kongsberg Gruppen. The ghosts of corruption past are coming back to haunt these institutions. We’ve also seen major new contracts announced: BAE Systems and Saudi Arabia have agreed […]
About Leah WawroLeah Wawro works for the International Defence and Security Programme at Transparency International UK.
This article was first published on Trustlaw Yesterday, the British ‘businessman’ James McCormick was found guilty of fraud for selling millions of pounds worth of utterly useless bomb detectors to governments around the world, including a major contract in Iraq. A whistleblower alleges that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to at least 15 […]
Maria Gili and Leah Wawro of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme outline obstacles to more transparency and accountability in how countries spend their defence budgets. Defence budgets are the primary tool that legislators and civil society can use to hold their governments and armed forces to account and see how their taxes are […]
Leah Wawro is Project Officer with Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme. Corruption in the defence and security sectors comes at a high price. Secretive arms deals, rigged procurement, and the long, often unaccountable chain of subcontractors in conflicts, mean that corruption often goes undiscovered and unreported. It is only when scandals are uncovered that […]
- Working together to stop fake agricultural products in Uganda 28 August 2014
- Lessons from the election: low levels of transparency raise red flags in Turkey 27 August 2014
- Piketty: Diagnosing inequality and prescribing a dose of anti-corruption 25 August 2014
- Do settlements for corporate financial malfeasance work? 21 August 2014
- Brazil: marching against corruption 20 August 2014
- Why governance matters for development: critics listen up! 25 July 2014
- International Youth Day – corruption fighters in the making 12 August 2014
- Learning to lead the fight against corruption 23 July 2014
- Under fire in Gaza: Anti-corruption activist Marwa Abu Odeh 8 August 2014
- World Cup winners and losers 16 July 2014
- Rueben Lifuka: The plight of Marwa Abu Odeh and her family and th...
- International Youth Day – Corruption Fighters In The Making | Transparency International-Philippines: […] From Transparency International by Katin...
- EMPOWERING YOUTH: ANTI-CORRUPTION KIT FOR YOUNG ACTIVISTS | Youth Proactive: […] it comes to fighting corruption, many yo...
- Messi and the International Impunity System « Global Financial Integrity: […] Cross-posted from Transparency Internati...
- Felicitas Hackmann: While some people demonstrate and others donate, s...