On 24 April 2013 more than a thousand garment workers died when the Rana Plaza commercial building containing several factories in Dhaka, Bangladesh collapsed shortly after work began. A few months earlier, on 24 November 2012, more than a hundred workers died when a factory burned down in another part of the city. The owners […]
About Thomas CoombesThomas Coombes is Senior Communications Officer and speech writer at Transparency International.
The World Bank singled out Georgia for praise last year for drastically reducing petty bribery: Georgia’s success destroys the myth that corruption is cultural and gives hope to reformers everywhere who aspire to clean up their public services.” I saw a different side to the story when I was in Georgia last month to give […]
We will publish the 2012 Corruption Perceptions Index next Wednesday 5 December. Behind the scores are many different kinds of public sector corruption, all with their own impact on daily life. Our evidence is language. Every language has its own particular expression for abuse of power. Here are a few. In English, we refer to […]
A global trade dispute is brewing over the rare metals inside many of our favourite technologies such as smart phones or hybrid cars. Last year, an article published in Transparency International’s Climate Change edition of the Global Corruption Report warned about the corruption risks in the countries where many of these valuable raw materials are […]
Marilyn Allien, the head of Transparency International’s chapter in Haiti just gave an interview on their work, including the hotline they set up to receive complaints. Read the full interview on AlertNet. Earlier this month marked two years since a massive earthquake devastated the country. Read Marilyn’s blog marking the day, and describing the corruption […]
On 10 December, Tawakkul Karman was one of three recipients of the Nobel Prize for her activism in Yemen during the Arab Spring. A member of TI’s contact in Yemen, Tawakkul was congratulated by our Palestinian chapter, whose executive director Ghada Zughayar, talked to us about the prize. Q. What does this Nobel Prize mean […]
Two years ago, Russian whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky died in jail. The campaign to hold those responsible for his death continues. A year ago, Sergei’s mother collected a Transparency International Integrity Award on his behalf. These awards were created to recognise the courage and determination of the many individuals and organisations fighting corruption around the world. […]
Today Transparency International published recommendations for building transparency at FIFA. These are based on years of experience working with organisations in government and the private sector to control corruption. FIFA is a special case though. That is why we are proposing the creation of an independent oversight multi-stakeholder group to oversee investigations of corruption allegations […]
Transparency International’s Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres provide free assistance to victims and witnesses of corruption, helping them to pursue their complaints. They process thousands of cases each year in more than 40 countries. This is one of them.
The Guardian just published this on their “FIFA in crisis” live blog: Transparency International, the global anti-corruption organisation, has joined the Football Association in demanding Fifa postpone the uncontested election that will extend Sepp Blatter’s presidency to a fourth term.
- Fighting for workers’ rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina 16 April 2014
- Anti-corruption street art: lend me your wall 15 April 2014
- Arte callejero anticorrupción: Préstame tu pared 15 April 2014
- Bangladesh factory safety in spotlight 10 April 2014
- Haiti: a new anti-corruption law brings hope 7 April 2014
- Teaching integrity in schools: Lessons from Italy 14 March 2014
- Russian money: too big to sanction? 10 March 2014
- Eu to freeze corrupt assets from Ukraine 5 March 2014
- Bosnians demand a change 18 February 2014
- Germany is ready to sign UNCAC – at last 26 February 2014
- μπομπονιερες βαπτισης: I must thank you for the efforts youve put in penn...
- e juice: I think this is one of the most significant info f...
- water damage restoration dallas tx: My spouse and i got excited that Ervin could carr...
- mbt sko salg: Debatten har gått høyt de siste dagene, ...
- Marian Koenigsman: Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blo...