On 24 April 2013 more than a thousand garment workers died when the Rana Plaza commercial building containing several factories in Dhaka, Bangladesh collapsed shortly after work began. A few months earlier, on 24 November 2012, more than a hundred workers died when a factory burned down in another part of the city. The owners […]
About Thomas CoombesThomas Coombes is Senior Communications Officer and speech writer at Transparency International.
The World Bank singled out Georgia for praise last year for drastically reducing petty bribery: Georgia’s success destroys the myth that corruption is cultural and gives hope to reformers everywhere who aspire to clean up their public services.” I saw a different side to the story when I was in Georgia last month to give […]
We will publish the 2012 Corruption Perceptions Index next Wednesday 5 December. Behind the scores are many different kinds of public sector corruption, all with their own impact on daily life. Our evidence is language. Every language has its own particular expression for abuse of power. Here are a few. In English, we refer to […]
A global trade dispute is brewing over the rare metals inside many of our favourite technologies such as smart phones or hybrid cars. Last year, an article published in Transparency International’s Climate Change edition of the Global Corruption Report warned about the corruption risks in the countries where many of these valuable raw materials are […]
Marilyn Allien, the head of Transparency International’s chapter in Haiti just gave an interview on their work, including the hotline they set up to receive complaints. Read the full interview on AlertNet. Earlier this month marked two years since a massive earthquake devastated the country. Read Marilyn’s blog marking the day, and describing the corruption […]
On 10 December, Tawakkul Karman was one of three recipients of the Nobel Prize for her activism in Yemen during the Arab Spring. A member of TI’s contact in Yemen, Tawakkul was congratulated by our Palestinian chapter, whose executive director Ghada Zughayar, talked to us about the prize. Q. What does this Nobel Prize mean […]
Two years ago, Russian whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky died in jail. The campaign to hold those responsible for his death continues. A year ago, Sergei’s mother collected a Transparency International Integrity Award on his behalf. These awards were created to recognise the courage and determination of the many individuals and organisations fighting corruption around the world. […]
Today Transparency International published recommendations for building transparency at FIFA. These are based on years of experience working with organisations in government and the private sector to control corruption. FIFA is a special case though. That is why we are proposing the creation of an independent oversight multi-stakeholder group to oversee investigations of corruption allegations […]
Transparency International’s Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres provide free assistance to victims and witnesses of corruption, helping them to pursue their complaints. They process thousands of cases each year in more than 40 countries. This is one of them.
The Guardian just published this on their “FIFA in crisis” live blog: Transparency International, the global anti-corruption organisation, has joined the Football Association in demanding Fifa postpone the uncontested election that will extend Sepp Blatter’s presidency to a fourth term.
- Anti-corruption compliance in Russia: a way forward 19 September 2014
- FIFA: how to win back trust 19 September 2014
- G20 Meets to Act on Corporate Taxes – But More Needed on Corruption 18 September 2014
- Observing elections: Tunisia’s I Watch breaks new ground 18 September 2014
- A promising step in Costa Rica: now for the real challenge 16 September 2014
- Why governance matters for development: critics listen up! 25 July 2014
- Under fire in Gaza: Anti-corruption activist Marwa Abu Odeh 8 August 2014
- International Youth Day – corruption fighters in the making 12 August 2014
- Libya’s Top 5 Corruption Scandals 28 July 2014
- Messi and the International Impunity System 7 August 2014
- Rueben Lifuka: The plight of Marwa Abu Odeh and her family and th...
- International Youth Day – Corruption Fighters In The Making | Transparency International-Philippines: […] From Transparency International by Katin...
- EMPOWERING YOUTH: ANTI-CORRUPTION KIT FOR YOUNG ACTIVISTS | Youth Proactive: […] it comes to fighting corruption, many yo...
- Messi and the International Impunity System « Global Financial Integrity: […] Cross-posted from Transparency Internati...
- Felicitas Hackmann: While some people demonstrate and others donate, s...