Governmental and UN representatives responsible for enforcement of the 2003 UN Convention against Corruption met in Vienna two months ago to discuss the process for reviewing implementation of anti-corruption measures. Below is an excerpt of a speech that Ifthekar Zaman, Executive Director of TI Bangladesh, gave. Like many other TI Chapters around the world we [...]
By Pr. Abdelaziz Nouaydi and Saad Filali Meknassi of Transparency Maroc, who give a brief overview of the Arab Convention to Fight Corruption — from who’s in and who’s out, to the types of crimes it seeks to prevent. Fifteen of 22 Arab States have so far ratified or acceded to the United Nations Convention against Corruption [...]
The world will wonder whether Germany is not committed to the fight against corruption, even though only the United States has prosecuted more companies for bribing foreign officials, as required by the international convention they have signed: the OECD anti-bribery Convention.
Allegations of insider trading at Nomura, money laundering at HSBC, interest rate manipulation at Barclays – it’s one scandal after another! Some say mega-banks are too complex to manage and control, others blame bad management, still others say the culture is rotten. Corruption abounds. Greed, secrecy, arrogance, lack of a moral compass, and opportunity all [...]
The following post is one in a series of blogs that will focus on codes of conduct over the coming weeks. The posts will look at the key features of a code of conduct, their different applications in different country contexts, the public officials that they cover, and their overall effectiveness. Most importantly, they will [...]
An illustrated, month-by-month look at some of the top corruption-related stories and trends of 2011. January Mohamed Bouazizi sets himself ablaze in defiance of bribe-seeking police. The death of the 26 year-old Tunisian fruit vendor serves as a catalyst for a surge of protests that quickly unfurl across North Africa and the Middle East. We [...]
As Libya prepares for the future, what are financial centres doing to stop the flow of stolen assets from dictators? The following is adapted from a speech made by Transparency International’s vice-chair, Akere Muna, at the UN public service forum in Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania. If corruption, especially money laundering and [...]
The entry into force of the UN Convention against Corruption in 2005 was a big step forward in the fight against corruption, but it was only the beginning of efforts to make governments do more. 154 countries have now ratified the treaty (India, Thailand and Iceland are among the latest, but, controversially, not Germany), but [...]
The following is an excerpt from the collected papers of the Rencontres Economiques d’Aix-en-Provence 2011. Read the full article here. Corruption is often thought of as an economic or “white collar crime”. That ignores the greater implications of corruption, the abuse of power at the expense of the many, which perpetuates social injustice and the [...]
With India’s ratification of UNCAC this month, Germany is one of the last three G20-countries to have not ratified the UN Convention against Corruption, together with Japan and Saudi-Arabia. This is not only embarrassing; it also undermines the credibility of Germany’s efforts to fight corruption at international level, hampering the government’s ability to create a [...]
- Thanks, British taxpayer! Thanks Royal Bank of Scotland 22 May 2013
- UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take action for transparency and accountability 22 May 2013
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- Anti-corruption heroes: an interview with Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 15 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- “But are you a real doctor?” Shortcut doctorates in Germany 26 March 2013
- Mohssin Faraji: We have been plagued with ANCFCC LAND CORRUPTION f...
- Discount Oakley Big Taco Sunglasses Best Sale: montand satisfying calamitous Maso Birmingham mari...
- Discount Oakley Big Taco Sunglasses Clearance Outlet: Anyone who comes out and fights in response to Ran...
- a far more unconventional wedding dress might be thought of contemporary: Someone essentially assist to make significantly p...
- thong tin doanh nghiep, tra cu ma so thue , mst doanh nghiep , nganh nghe cong ty , tra cuu thong tin: I've read several excellent stuff here. Certainly...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter