The bark of the mukula tree has medicinal properties, the outer wood is prized for furniture and flooring, and the dense core is valuable to Chinese rifle manufacturers. With hundreds or thousands of dollars packed into each plant, mukula forests represent a gold mine for Zambia. But an entrenched web of corruption ensures only powerful […]
Caution and optimism in Zambia as forest scheme scales up
Rio shows way on links between environment and corruption
The inter-governmental deal on climate change inked in Rio de Janeiro in June has proved nothing less than the “longest suicide note in history”, according to Kumi Naidoo, Greenpeace International’s executive director. He sees the successor compact to the original landmark 1992 Rio declaration on climate change as a crucial and perhaps fatal missed opportunity […]
Corruption and Forestry: Once gone, they cannot be brought back
Manoj Nadkarni, Programme Manager of Transparency International’s Forest Governance Integrity Programme, highlights the irreversible damage that exploitation of forests by companies and governments can do. Is the forest sector more or less corrupt compared to other sectors? This is a question I am regularly asked, and the recently published Bribe Payers Index answers this and […]
Corruption feeds organised crime and organised crime feeds corruption
Julia Muravska of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme takes a look at the links between organised crime and corruption. “Corruption feeds organised crime and organised crime feeds corruption.” This is one of the key points made by Transparency International UK’s Defence and Security Programme in its ‘Organised crime, corruption, and the vulnerability of defence […]
- State Capture in South Africa 14 February 2017
- What’s next for Ukraine? 16 December 2016
- Cleaning up sport: conflicts of interest at the top 9 December 2016
- OGP: France must do more to tackle corruption 9 December 2016
- Pharma companies in Slovakia: Uncovering conflicts of interest 9 December 2016
- Nokubonga Ndima: Young people can make a change for a better future...
- Benjamin M: Very good article! Congrats!...
- arun kottur: In India sports minister was involved decades are ...
- Ekonomi: Very beneficial article. Thank you very much. htt...
- ksweeney1: I do not agree that https://apex.aero/2016/09/22/g...
Latest news from Transparency International
No items, feed is empty.