Two centuries ago, coal mining spurred the European continent’s Industrial Revolution. Today, data mining is fueling the data revolution brought about by exploding streams of data. Using data mining techniques to profile customer preferences and predict purchasing patterns has become common practice in the private sector. But can data mining also be used to fight […]
The potential of fighting corruption through data mining
Surveillance under scrutiny in Georgia
Fourteen thousand wire taps have been approved in the courts of Georgia’s capital Tbilisi since 2011. Last month Transparency International Georgia held a conference aimed at pushing for more transparency about the way Georgian law enforcers carry out surveillance, and who watches the watchers. Georgian authorities, like other governments in the Caucasus, keep ‘black boxes’ […]
Prison Abuse Protests: Georgia’s Abu Ghraib
On September 18 Georgian opposition television stations warned their evening audiences that they were about to broadcast disturbing images of abuse by wardens at Gldani prison Nr. 8 in Tbilisi, Georgia’s capital city. Many viewers were nevertheless unprepared for what they saw next. One video contained graphic images of prison inmates being sodomized by guards […]
Georgia: Politicians behaving badly
A Code of Ethics is a useful guide for Members of the Parliament (MPs) on how to behave – a list of things to do (and not do) when in public office. This was the objective for adopting a Parliamentary Ethics Code in Georgia, which was passed in 2004. When designed right, codes of ethics […]
- State Capture in South Africa 14 February 2017
- What’s next for Ukraine? 16 December 2016
- Cleaning up sport: conflicts of interest at the top 9 December 2016
- OGP: France must do more to tackle corruption 9 December 2016
- Pharma companies in Slovakia: Uncovering conflicts of interest 9 December 2016
- Nokubonga Ndima: Young people can make a change for a better future...
- Benjamin M: Very good article! Congrats!...
- arun kottur: In India sports minister was involved decades are ...
- Ekonomi: Very beneficial article. Thank you very much. htt...
- ksweeney1: I do not agree that https://apex.aero/2016/09/22/g...
Latest news from Transparency International
No items, feed is empty.