The framing is simple but the implications are huge: to end poverty, you have to end corruption. Transparency International has been using this argument since it was founded over 20 years ago. There now appears to be a ground swell of people from the countries which donate the most to development, who agree with us. […]
Last week many of us experienced strong emotions in a very short space of time in Vilnius, Lithuania. A group of people from different countries and backgrounds joined the Transparency International School on Integrity with a common commitment to make a change in society by combating corruption. I would like to share my own experience: […]
The G20 is making progress in the fight against corruption. However for all the talk, the representatives of the world’s leading economies are not setting the bar high enough. From our point of view, unless the G20 mandates and enforces greater corporate transparency, corrupt public officials, gangsters, drug dealers and terrorists will continue to misuse […]
The G20 leaders meet in Australia later this year. Pressure is growing on them to build on the commitments from last June’s G8 Summit on beneficial ownership. That’s an obscure phrase for an ugly truth: corrupt individuals from around the world are able to hide their money through complex corporate and trust structures, such that when an […]
The Self Propelled Howitzer “PzH 2000” of German Defense Company Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) “sets a worldwide standard”, according to the company. Athens bought the howitzers a decade ago for €200 million, a deal which is now the centre of allegations about dubious flows of money in connection with two former German parliamentarians. The PzH 2000 […]
India has passed the half-way point in its chaotic elections where 814 million people are registered to vote. The last polling day is 12 May and results will be announced on 16 May. One of the big questions is how the newly elected politicians will deliver on their campaign promises to tackle corruption. Too […]
The use of shell companies to mask the true owners of assets is still on top of the political agenda and interest in the issue continues to grow. This week the UK government announced further details of its plan to implement a public registry of company ownership. This is important because shell companies can facilitate […]
On 6 March, Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos signed the country’s access to information law. This was the last formal step of a long process led by civil society organisations collaborating with many sectors in the country. The right of citizens to know what governments and public institutions are doing, and how public resources are […]
With more than 1 million Syrian refugees settling into Lebanon, the need to protect this vulnerable population from the inevitable onslaught of corruption that often follows displacement is crucial more than ever before. With this unfolding tragedy in mind, The Lebanese Transparency Association has opened new Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres (ALAC) in the Bekaa […]
Imagine you were asked to work seven days a week, with no lunch breaks and no overtime pay. That you were forbidden to take a five-minute pause, or even to sit down. And if you complained, you would be fired on the spot. Until recently, this was the situation that faced four female employees of […]
- Why governance matters for development: critics listen up! 25 July 2014
- Learning to lead the fight against corruption 23 July 2014
- World Cup winners and losers 16 July 2014
- Campaign for transparency in Maldives pays off 10 July 2014
- Bangladesh: Cutting off our heads to cure a headache? 3 July 2014
- Three steps to (start) recovering stolen assets 12 June 2014
- How the G20 could unmask the corrupt 20 June 2014
- German-Greek arms deal corruption allegations stir renewed debate 6 June 2014
- From CEO to whistleblower 13 June 2014
- Czech construction job: honest official makes sure citizens win 17 June 2014
- javier: This happens in México all the times. So sad....
- TAPAS K. DUTTA: Nexus between the corrupt politicians, hypocrite m...
- francesco totino: A European Strategy for growth http://economicsan...
- La Cumbre del C20 en Australia | Transparencia Mexicana: […] Para conocer más sobre la Cumbre del C2...
- Derek Patterson: Shocking. Switzerland should be ashamed of itself ...