On 24 April 2013 more than a thousand garment workers died when the Rana Plaza commercial building containing several factories in Dhaka, Bangladesh collapsed shortly after work began. A few months earlier, on 24 November 2012, more than a hundred workers died when a factory burned down in another part of the city. The owners […]
On 5 April 12 million Afghanis are expected to vote to select their next president. The leading candidates have expressed their fear of corruption on the day of the election: ballot stuffing, vote buying, impersonation and voter intimidation are likely to resurface as during the last presidential elections. An unfair election will tarnish the legitimacy […]
The past few months have seen major scandals in defence procurement involving The Colombian Defence Ministry, AgustaWestland and the UK government, Rolls-Royce and Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd, and Kongsberg Gruppen. The ghosts of corruption past are coming back to haunt these institutions. We’ve also seen major new contracts announced: BAE Systems and Saudi Arabia have agreed […]
From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
Shortly after publishing this blog, we were informed that the elections for the Superior Electoral Court took place unexpectedly on 11 March. David Gaitán, writer of this blog, gives this update: “Congress once again left transparency and accountability outside. It was done in the usual style, through contributions and negotiations in private and dark rooms. […]
We entrust governments – with our votes and money – to act transparently in our interest. This includes for the public contracts that they bid out to deliver: everything from schoolbooks to sanitation systems. Globally, these costs are estimated to top nearly US$ 9.5 trillion each year. Yet many of these contracts are done behind […]
Ever since the South African government signed a US$4.8 billion deal to buy weapons from Swedish, British, German and South African defence companies in 1999, it has been hounded by allegations of corruption. The deal is still ongoing, and could still be cancelled. One of the justifications for the purchase was offset contracts – side […]
Saturday 8 March is International Women’s Day, and to mark the occasion we’re celebrating women corruption fighters across the world! All this week we’ll be interviewing some of the many remarkable women who fight corruption in our movement, and on Friday we’ll be profiling the women who spur YOU on to stand up against injustice. […]
Last September G20 leaders moved towards greater transparency to crack down on tax evasion. They promised a “new global standard” to increase the exchange of financial information between countries. Whereas today tax authorities have to chase information from others authorities if and when they suspect foul play, this new standard will require any jurisdiction signing […]
Hundreds of Yemenis protested on the streets of Sanaa against the government’s ongoing negotiations with French oil company Total about the pricing of liquefied natural gas (LNG), which is one of the main sources of the country’s wealth. Protestors claimed that Yemenis have lost hundreds of millions of dollars of potential earnings from the country’s […]
- Fighting for workers’ rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina 16 April 2014
- Anti-corruption street art: lend me your wall 15 April 2014
- Arte callejero anticorrupción: Préstame tu pared 15 April 2014
- Bangladesh factory safety in spotlight 10 April 2014
- Haiti: a new anti-corruption law brings hope 7 April 2014
- Teaching integrity in schools: Lessons from Italy 14 March 2014
- Russian money: too big to sanction? 10 March 2014
- Eu to freeze corrupt assets from Ukraine 5 March 2014
- Bosnians demand a change 18 February 2014
- Germany is ready to sign UNCAC – at last 26 February 2014
- μπομπονιερες βαπτισης: I must thank you for the efforts youve put in penn...
- e juice: I think this is one of the most significant info f...
- water damage restoration dallas tx: My spouse and i got excited that Ervin could carr...
- mbt sko salg: Debatten har gått høyt de siste dagene, ...
- Marian Koenigsman: Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blo...