In September 2012, the US Internal Revenue Service awarded Bradley Birkefeld with US$104 million, as he provided prosecutors with detailed information about the “consultating services” that UBS AG offered to rich clients, thus enabling tax evasion. Within two months, new legislation on whistleblowers’ protection for federal employees came up by the US President Barack Obama. [...]
Reposted from Transparency International UK The recent leaks of information about who actually owns the companies registered in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) offer a first glimpse for many people into this very murky world. For years, small amounts of information have trickled out – often through court cases – that indicate these so-called secrecy [...]
Around 260 Gigabytes of data from ten tax havens, 2.5 million documents, 130.000 persons from 170 countries concerned – a mega coup. But some questions are still to be answered. Today’s releases regarding #offshoreleaks include everything one can expect from good journalism in the 21st century: Collaboration: 84 journalists worked on the story, coordinated by [...]
Reposted from the blog of the Task Force for Financial Integrity & Economic Development. Task Force member Global Financial Integrity released their newest report on illicit financial flows from the developing world last night. The report found that $5.86 trillion left the developing world due to crime, corruption, and tax evasion from 2001-2010, $859 billion [...]
A forthcoming report by Global Financial Integrity finds that Zambia lost US$8.8 billion in illicit financial outflows from 2001-2010
In the past weeks we have witnessed a great deal of news surrounding issues of transparency and accountability of multinational companies. In the UK, several international corporations including Starbucks, Google, and Amazon, have been questioned in Parliament over the little corporation tax they pay despite their large UK accounts. Tax evasion is facilitated by the [...]
This week the heads of state from the G20 are meeting in Mexico, where we hope they will take action to meet their 2009 promise to end bank secrecy. One step already taken is making tax evasion a predicate offence for money laundering. What does that mean? Money laundering is defined as taking the proceeds [...]
Reading about the Eurozone crisis in the newspapers, your natural response would be to think that Southern Europe has a problem of overspending. But it also has a revenue problem. The Southern European financial crisis and the envisaged tax Swiss-German law that would essentially launder illegal assets are two sides of the same coin. South [...]
The following is adapted from the opening speech by Transparency International chair Huguette Labelle, at the anti-corruption movement’s annual meeting that brings together activists from over 100 countries around the world. The full speech is available here This has been a year of many anti-corruption landmarks and breakthroughs. People are waking up to corruption in [...]
As many of our readers might be aware, the French chapter of Transparency International has recently filed an anti-corruption case against the presidents of Gabon, Congo and Equitorial Guinea regarding the millions of dollars in embezzled funds they have allegedly stashed in the form of property and other goods in France. This case broke new [...]
- Thanks, British taxpayer! Thanks Royal Bank of Scotland 22 May 2013
- UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take action for transparency and accountability 22 May 2013
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- Anti-corruption heroes: an interview with Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 15 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- Time to wake up Trinidad & Tobago: the Jack Warner affair 14 May 2013
- Auto Publish Plugin and Auto Share to Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and 20 other Social Media sites with one Free Wordpress Plugin to Auto post Instagram, Tumblr, Foursquare. Automatically Share Blog Post. - Free Bookmarking List: [...] UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take acti...
- Top 1000 High PR Social Bookmarking Sites List 2013 - Free Bookmarking List: [...] Time to wake up Trinidad & Tobago: the J...
- Conrad: @crichto apologies for the slow reply, as I hadn'...
- Carola: Thanks Dorthea!...
- Dorthea: Your style is so unique in comparison to other peo...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter