The often highly complicated approaches used by giant corporations to lower their tax bills will be under attack at this weekend’s key meeting of finance ministers of the Group of 20 most powerful nations in Cairns, Australia. The G20 is expected to act to end systems where companies like Apple, Amazon, Starbucks and many others […]
The ongoing prosecution of football super star Lionel Messi for alleged tax evasion made global headlines last week. Messi and his father Jorge are accused of evading 4.2 million euros (US$5.6m) in tax on sponsorship earnings in court documents submitted by the prosecutor. The alleged tax evasion scheme was based on using a web of […]
The Self Propelled Howitzer “PzH 2000” of German Defense Company Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) “sets a worldwide standard”, according to the company. Athens bought the howitzers a decade ago for €200 million, a deal which is now the centre of allegations about dubious flows of money in connection with two former German parliamentarians. The PzH 2000 […]
The use of shell companies to mask the true owners of assets is still on top of the political agenda and interest in the issue continues to grow. This week the UK government announced further details of its plan to implement a public registry of company ownership. This is important because shell companies can facilitate […]
From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
Last September G20 leaders moved towards greater transparency to crack down on tax evasion. They promised a “new global standard” to increase the exchange of financial information between countries. Whereas today tax authorities have to chase information from others authorities if and when they suspect foul play, this new standard will require any jurisdiction signing […]
Austria needs to make its banks more transparent and join the international movement to end secrecy in the fight against illicit financial flows and tax evasion as Dr. Kurt Bayer and Dr. Edith Kitzmantel of Transparency International Austria explain. Last month Austria’s Chancellor Werner Faymann signaled that Austria is ready to make the country’s notoriously […]
The UK Government has announced that transparency and anti-corruption will be key elements at the G8 summit this year. Much needed action on money laundering provides an opportunity to live up to that promise. Corrupt money flows through the UK – in particular through our financial services industry. Nobody knows how much, but it is […]
In September 2012, the US Internal Revenue Service awarded Bradley Birkefeld with US$104 million, as he provided prosecutors with detailed information about the “consultating services” that UBS AG offered to rich clients, thus enabling tax evasion. Within two months, new legislation on whistleblowers’ protection for federal employees came up by the US President Barack Obama. […]
Reposted from Transparency International UK The recent leaks of information about who actually owns the companies registered in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) offer a first glimpse for many people into this very murky world. For years, small amounts of information have trickled out – often through court cases – that indicate these so-called secrecy […]
- Un viraje clave hacia la lucha contra la corrupción para la iniciativa de la OGP 28 October 2014
- A Critical Pivot towards Anti-corruption for the OGP Initiative 28 October 2014
- Speaking up for Greek whistleblowers 28 October 2014
- No a la impunidad: la ley se abre paso en las investigaciones 24 October 2014
- No impunity: the law steps in to investigate 22 October 2014
- Judiciary the weakest link in Cambodia’s Integrity System 29 September 2014
- G20 Meets to Act on Corporate Taxes – But More Needed on Corruption 18 September 2014
- Philippines: Stories from the fight against corruption 12 September 2014
- Thuli Madonsela: Corruption eats away at the soul of the nation 17 October 2014
- Money-laundering: too important to leave to the experts alone 21 October 2014
- VKGupta, India: Great, we in India also need such dedication to er...
- Peter Kumwenda: This is a good step taken by the United States. In...
- Thuli Madonsela- Integrity Award Winner 2014 | Transparency International-Philippines: […] Read our Q+A with Thuli Madonsela here....
- Chris: Hi Max Interesting article, the only flaw with ...
- Money Laundering: Too Important To Leave To The Experts Alone « Financial Transparency Coalition: […] Read this blog in Spanish here. […...
Latest news from Transparency International
Error: Feed is temporarily unavailable