The often highly complicated approaches used by giant corporations to lower their tax bills will be under attack at this weekend’s key meeting of finance ministers of the Group of 20 most powerful nations in Cairns, Australia. The G20 is expected to act to end systems where companies like Apple, Amazon, Starbucks and many others […]
The ongoing prosecution of football super star Lionel Messi for alleged tax evasion made global headlines last week. Messi and his father Jorge are accused of evading 4.2 million euros (US$5.6m) in tax on sponsorship earnings in court documents submitted by the prosecutor. The alleged tax evasion scheme was based on using a web of […]
The Self Propelled Howitzer “PzH 2000” of German Defense Company Krauss-Maffei Wegmann (KMW) “sets a worldwide standard”, according to the company. Athens bought the howitzers a decade ago for €200 million, a deal which is now the centre of allegations about dubious flows of money in connection with two former German parliamentarians. The PzH 2000 […]
The use of shell companies to mask the true owners of assets is still on top of the political agenda and interest in the issue continues to grow. This week the UK government announced further details of its plan to implement a public registry of company ownership. This is important because shell companies can facilitate […]
From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
Last September G20 leaders moved towards greater transparency to crack down on tax evasion. They promised a “new global standard” to increase the exchange of financial information between countries. Whereas today tax authorities have to chase information from others authorities if and when they suspect foul play, this new standard will require any jurisdiction signing […]
Austria needs to make its banks more transparent and join the international movement to end secrecy in the fight against illicit financial flows and tax evasion as Dr. Kurt Bayer and Dr. Edith Kitzmantel of Transparency International Austria explain. Last month Austria’s Chancellor Werner Faymann signaled that Austria is ready to make the country’s notoriously […]
The UK Government has announced that transparency and anti-corruption will be key elements at the G8 summit this year. Much needed action on money laundering provides an opportunity to live up to that promise. Corrupt money flows through the UK – in particular through our financial services industry. Nobody knows how much, but it is […]
In September 2012, the US Internal Revenue Service awarded Bradley Birkefeld with US$104 million, as he provided prosecutors with detailed information about the “consultating services” that UBS AG offered to rich clients, thus enabling tax evasion. Within two months, new legislation on whistleblowers’ protection for federal employees came up by the US President Barack Obama. […]
Reposted from Transparency International UK The recent leaks of information about who actually owns the companies registered in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) offer a first glimpse for many people into this very murky world. For years, small amounts of information have trickled out – often through court cases – that indicate these so-called secrecy […]
- Vietnam: young people debate business integrity 1 October 2014
- Judiciary the weakest link in Cambodia’s Integrity System 29 September 2014
- G20 whistleblowing laws – are they hitting or missing the mark? A lesson from Australia 22 September 2014
- Anti-corruption compliance in Russia: a way forward 19 September 2014
- FIFA: how to win back trust 19 September 2014
- G20 Meets to Act on Corporate Taxes – But More Needed on Corruption 18 September 2014
- Piketty: Diagnosing inequality and prescribing a dose of anti-corruption 25 August 2014
- Under fire in Gaza: Anti-corruption activist Marwa Abu Odeh 8 August 2014
- Philippines: Stories from the fight against corruption 12 September 2014
- International Youth Day – corruption fighters in the making 12 August 2014
- “No Impunity” Needs to be the Rule for Corrupt Politicians and Corporations | Frank Vogl: […] of this article appeared on the website ...
- frank williams: Girlks, what you doing is great but do NOT under a...
- Miriam Ramirez MD: CORPORATE GREED is also the reason for the sad fi...
- Wakeup Frank: 96% of YOUR Organizations funding is from Governme...
- Philippines: Stories from the Fight Against Corruption | Transparency International-Philippines: […] Transparency International by Samantha [...