The G20 is making progress in the fight against corruption. However for all the talk, the representatives of the world’s leading economies are not setting the bar high enough. From our point of view, unless the G20 mandates and enforces greater corporate transparency, corrupt public officials, gangsters, drug dealers and terrorists will continue to misuse […]
The use of shell companies to mask the true owners of assets is still on top of the political agenda and interest in the issue continues to grow. This week the UK government announced further details of its plan to implement a public registry of company ownership. This is important because shell companies can facilitate […]
From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
As the Crimea crisis has developed, there have been calls to freeze Russian and Ukrainian assets in the UK. Russian money is unusual for two reasons. First, the sheer volume. Secondly, because there have been persistent allegations that a substantial proportion of it is dirty money – gained through organised crime and corruption in a […]
What does the future hold for the fight against corruption? Recently, three books have been written seeking to answer this question, helping to plot the course of the anti-corruption movement for the years to come. Laurence Cockcroft: Global Corruption: Money, Power, and Ethics in the Modern World One of the co-founders of Transparency International, Laurence […]
The arrest in China of four GlaxoSmithKline executives on charges of bribery highlights an important reality that companies ignore at their peril. As we have seen in other areas, most notably in financial crime or money laundering, the ways and means of committing a criminal act can and do evolve. A trench-coated operative wearing dark […]
The UK Government has announced that transparency and anti-corruption will be key elements at the G8 summit this year. Much needed action on money laundering provides an opportunity to live up to that promise. Corrupt money flows through the UK – in particular through our financial services industry. Nobody knows how much, but it is […]
Reposted from Transparency International UK The recent leaks of information about who actually owns the companies registered in the British Virgin Islands (BVI) offer a first glimpse for many people into this very murky world. For years, small amounts of information have trickled out – often through court cases – that indicate these so-called secrecy […]
The bail out of the troubled banking sector in Cyprus has taken on serious political overtones as the crisis deepens. During the past few weeks Cyprus has been accused of failing to combat money laundering and fraud and that Russian oligarchs seek refuge for their money in this “tax haven” country. Now the strongest members […]
Reposted from the blog of the Task Force on Financial Integrity & Economic Development Last week, the U.S. Senate Banking Committee held a hearing titled, “Patterns of Abuse: Assessing Bank Secrecy Act Compliance and Enforcement.” The committee called three regulators to testify: David Cohen, Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, United States Department of the […]
- Learning to lead the fight against corruption 23 July 2014
- World Cup winners and losers 16 July 2014
- Campaign for transparency in Maldives pays off 10 July 2014
- Bangladesh: Cutting off our heads to cure a headache? 3 July 2014
- G20 anti-corruption meeting: progress, but without ambition 25 June 2014
- Three steps to (start) recovering stolen assets 12 June 2014
- How the G20 could unmask the corrupt 20 June 2014
- German-Greek arms deal corruption allegations stir renewed debate 6 June 2014
- From CEO to whistleblower 13 June 2014
- Czech construction job: honest official makes sure citizens win 17 June 2014
- javier: This happens in México all the times. So sad....
- TAPAS K. DUTTA: Nexus between the corrupt politicians, hypocrite m...
- francesco totino: A European Strategy for growth http://economicsan...
- La Cumbre del C20 en Australia | Transparencia Mexicana: […] Para conocer más sobre la Cumbre del C2...
- Derek Patterson: Shocking. Switzerland should be ashamed of itself ...