Alice Harrison, Communications Coordinator for TI’s Climate Governance Integrity Programme, reports from South Africa as the 2011 climate conference reaches its conclusion. As the sun rose on South Africa yesterday a burst of applause sounded from Durban’s conference hall as UN negotiators commended themselves for reaching an “historic agreement” on climate change. “We have worked [...]
All too often, climate finance initiatives are hampered by waste and corruption. More accountability is needed, argues Cobus de Swardt, Transparency International’s Managing Director. This article was originally published in The Guardian. World leaders meeting for this year’s climate conference in Durban will be under pressure to pool enough new funds to protect people from [...]
Michel Gary is Programme Coordinator in TI’s Forest Governance Programme. In the wake of a new report by TI Malaysia, he discusses the urgent need for transparent forest governance to safeguard the country’s timber. Logging is big business in Malaysia. Stretching across more than half of the country, Malaysia’s vast forests don’t just define the [...]
Climate change and corruption risks in Peru: The launch of TI’s Global Corruption Report on Climate Change in Lima
Samuel Rotta Castilla and Magaly Ávila work on the Climate Governance Integrity Programme at TI’s Peruvian chapter Proética. They talk about what TI’s Global Corruption Report on Climate Change means for Peru. Peru is one of only 17 megadiverse countries, and home to around 80 per cent of the world’s biodiversity. 50 per cent of [...]
Cambio Climático y riesgos de corrupción en el Perú. El Informe Global de Corrupción sobre Cambio Climático fue presentado en Lima
Escrito por Samuel Rotta Castilla y Magaly Ávila, Proética (Transparency International Peru). Perú es uno de los 17 países considerados megadiversos en el mundo, aquellos que concentran el 80% de la biodiversidad y casi la mitad de la diversidad cultural mundial. 50% de las exportaciones peruanas provienen de la explotación de los recursos biológicos, y [...]
It was slippery in parts so she took my hand, steering me gently from one dry spot to the next. The path soon gave way to sludge, punctured with bricks for steppingstones. Her house was one of a cluster of three clay bungalows, perched upon a shimmering expanse of mud. Visiting this woman’s home was [...]
Climbing the steps in Hotel Meliá’s lobby, I was faced with two options. To my right, double doors opened onto a large conference room abuzz with men in suits. ‘Opportunities and Incentives for Hydrocarbon Exploration in Central America and the Caribbean’ read the sign on the door. To my left, Transparency International’s (TI) Dominican chapter, [...]
By Michel Gary, Programme Coordinator in TI’s Forest Governance Programme Papua New Guinea (PNG) boasts 22 million ha of tropical forest, providing for livelihood and lush biodiversity, as well as about 150 million USD to their economy. However the exploitation of forests and the allocation of land concessions have recently received considerable media attention. A [...]
TI’s Global Corruption Report: Climate Change warned that complex mechanisms for incentivizing cuts in carbon emissions need to be governed properly to be effective. Krina Despota, contributing editor to the report, explains that this involves proving that carbon offsets represent real emissions reductions. The challenge of limiting global warming to within two degrees Celsius will [...]
By Alice Harrison, Communications Coordinator for TI’s Climate Governance Programme. Downtown Santo Domingo. Scooters dart daringly between towering SUVs. Huddled crowds spill from the windows and doors of battered minibuses, overtaking bicycles saddled with bulging mangoes. Faded umbrellas shield women from the glaring afternoon sun, while uniformed men stoop attentively over the young boys shining [...]
- African Renaissance comes through the reinforcement of institutions 24 May 2013
- Thanks, British taxpayer! Thanks Royal Bank of Scotland 22 May 2013
- UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take action for transparency and accountability 22 May 2013
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- “But are you a real doctor?” Shortcut doctorates in Germany 26 March 2013
- juicing for cancer treatment: It's actually a great and helpful piece of inform...
- wp social press Discount: With hackers around every corner, this continues t...
- Mohssin Faraji: We have been plagued with ANCFCC LAND CORRUPTION f...
- Discount Oakley Big Taco Sunglasses Best Sale: montand satisfying calamitous Maso Birmingham mari...
- Discount Oakley Big Taco Sunglasses Clearance Outlet: Anyone who comes out and fights in response to Ran...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter