This post was originally published in TI-UK‘s blog. Is there an assault being mounted to undermine the Bribery Act – before it has had a chance to take effect? Anecdotal evidence suggests this is the case – one visible sign is a recent letter to the FT (FT Letters, March 18th). I have some sympathy for the concerns expressed [...]
The OECD has accused France of not responding effectively to the problem of international corruption. The third monitoring report on France’s implementation of the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention did cite some progress: efforts have been taken to make businesses aware of the need to fight corruption and implement corruption prevention measures. But the rest of the [...]
“Our country is a good student when it comes to passing laws. What is missing is their implementation because of the lack of political will” says Daniel Lebègue, chair of Transparence France. One of the world’s biggest exporters, France is not doing nearly enough to fight and prevent foreign bribery, say the OECD’s and Transparency [...]
President Barack Obama, speaking to the United Nations General Assembly about the true nature of democracy, mentioned corruption and bribery several times. I was particularly struck by this line: True democracy demands that citizens cannot be thrown in jail because of what they believe, and that businesses can be opened without paying a bribe. Unfortunately, [...]
‘All countries share a responsibility to combat bribery’, according to the OECD anti-bribery convention. But a bribery case in Hungary that has seen action in several other countries, but not Hungary itself, is testing that principle. There is no obstacle stopping British or Swedish law enforcers who investigated the sale of fighter jets to Hungary [...]
Companies caught bribing in nigeria have paid billions in fines, but not in Nigeria. A nigerian NGO tries to find out why. One of the reasons why there are so many foreign bribery cases going on related to Nigeria (see box below), is basically that corruption in Nigeria is deeply entrenched in almost every area [...]
We ask businesspeople where they lose out to competitors’ corruption. One of the biggest corruption stories in the world this year was the allegation that Walmart paid bribes totalling US$24 million in its Mexican operations. It makes you wonder how many other companies lost out because of those bribes. A new survey gives us some [...]
Recovery of stolen assets is a prime concern for Arab governments at the moment but what role did multinationals play in bribing former corrupt officials? A six month joint investigation published this week in British papers revealed that the country’s authorities have not been proactive in seizing key assets by the former Egyptian president Hosni [...]
Stories of bribery and its impact around the world, from Greece to Mexico. 39 countries are signed up to the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention, meaning that they have agreed to investigate and prosecute businesses that use corrupt practices when conducting business abroad. We will publish a new report on Thursday showing a rise in prosecutions by [...]
On 06 September, Transparency International releases its annual report on enforcement of the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention. Right at the time the European Union is consumed with the debate over the debt crisis and politicians across the EU are busy playing the blame game, an interesting case going on in Portugal helps shed some light on [...]
- African Renaissance comes through the reinforcement of institutions 24 May 2013
- Thanks, British taxpayer! Thanks Royal Bank of Scotland 22 May 2013
- UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take action for transparency and accountability 22 May 2013
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- “But are you a real doctor?” Shortcut doctorates in Germany 26 March 2013
- Lorenzo: I've been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours as...
- juicing for cancer treatment: It's actually a great and helpful piece of inform...
- wp social press Discount: With hackers around every corner, this continues t...
- Mohssin Faraji: We have been plagued with ANCFCC LAND CORRUPTION f...
- Discount Oakley Big Taco Sunglasses Best Sale: montand satisfying calamitous Maso Birmingham mari...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter