It is not just enough to talk about fighting corruption or even to sign an international convention outlawing it; it’s actions that count. But recent scandals in the defence sector show that, for some countries, the ride ahead is still very long and bumpy. Take, for example, the recent developments in the AgustaWestland scandal, in […]
So now that the G20 dust has settled and the media circus has dispersed, did the representatives of two-thirds of the global population make any meaningful decisions in St Petersburg? The final St Petersburg G20 Leaders Declaration has 11 paragraphs devoted to corruption efforts. This greater visibility is welcome progress from the two sentences included […]
Last month the FT wrote about the countries that will be driving global economic growth in the years ahead. any company still concentrating its efforts in established economies really is living in the past.” But companies trying to prepare for a future world of opportunities offered by new markets must be ready to face new […]
This post was originally published in TI-UK‘s blog. Is there an assault being mounted to undermine the Bribery Act – before it has had a chance to take effect? Anecdotal evidence suggests this is the case – one visible sign is a recent letter to the FT (FT Letters, March 18th). I have some sympathy for the concerns expressed […]
The OECD has accused France of not responding effectively to the problem of international corruption. The third monitoring report on France’s implementation of the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention did cite some progress: efforts have been taken to make businesses aware of the need to fight corruption and implement corruption prevention measures. But the rest of the […]
“Our country is a good student when it comes to passing laws. What is missing is their implementation because of the lack of political will” says Daniel Lebègue, chair of Transparence France. One of the world’s biggest exporters, France is not doing nearly enough to fight and prevent foreign bribery, say the OECD’s and Transparency […]
President Barack Obama, speaking to the United Nations General Assembly about the true nature of democracy, mentioned corruption and bribery several times. I was particularly struck by this line: True democracy demands that citizens cannot be thrown in jail because of what they believe, and that businesses can be opened without paying a bribe. Unfortunately, […]
‘All countries share a responsibility to combat bribery’, according to the OECD anti-bribery convention. But a bribery case in Hungary that has seen action in several other countries, but not Hungary itself, is testing that principle. There is no obstacle stopping British or Swedish law enforcers who investigated the sale of fighter jets to Hungary […]
Companies caught bribing in nigeria have paid billions in fines, but not in Nigeria. A nigerian NGO tries to find out why. One of the reasons why there are so many foreign bribery cases going on related to Nigeria (see box below), is basically that corruption in Nigeria is deeply entrenched in almost every area […]
We ask businesspeople where they lose out to competitors’ corruption. One of the biggest corruption stories in the world this year was the allegation that Walmart paid bribes totalling US$24 million in its Mexican operations. It makes you wonder how many other companies lost out because of those bribes. A new survey gives us some […]
- From the ground up: Palestinian women on the frontlines of anti-corruption 6 March 2014
- 5 reasons South Africa Arms Deal sweeteners turned sour 6 March 2014
- Corruption-busting in Zimbabwe: why being a woman helps 5 March 2014
- Eu to freeze corrupt assets from Ukraine 5 March 2014
- Slovenia: ‘Women’s voices must be louder’ 4 March 2014
- Money up in the air? Corruption in Yemen’s gas sector 13 February 2014
- The Spanish Royal Court and the rule of law 13 January 2014
- Inside Ukraine’s protests 14 February 2014
- Can children lead the fight against corruption? 6 February 2014
- Germany is ready to sign UNCAC – at last 26 February 2014
- mdf: Good luck with all that, they will be siiting in a...
- online games: Recommeneded websites [...]Here are few of the si...
- hv¥tels a: Appreciate what we include, that is what my very o...
- the facts: Who come taxes of your countries http://www.parti...
- Addie: One of the great ways to find reviews, about which...