This year whistleblowing has been the media’s darling, dominating headlines around the world. Secretive governments, irresponsible banks, crooked businesses and unsafe healthcare have come under the spotlight thanks to workers finding the courage to speak up about wrongdoing. Public inquiries into scandals have recommended better whistleblowing arrangements as a means to combat corruption and abuse. In […]
Companies in Brazil have been able to escape punishment for corruption, but that has all changed now as Leo Torresan of Amarribo Brasil, Transparency International’s partner explains. It may be that lawmakers are feeling the heat of the popular movement against corruption. This week, after stalling for more than three years, Congress finally passed a law making […]
Magdalena Reinberg works with Transparency Austria in Vienna, Tiffany Clarke with Transparency’s International Defence & Security Programme in London and Christian Humborg with Transparency Germany in Berlin. They write about recent corruption allegations against British weapons manufacturer BAE Systems. As mentioned in TI-UK’s blog from 5 February 2013, the revelations in the Sunday Times show that it […]
Hello, my name is Aki Wakabayashi from Japan. I am a journalist, whistleblower and Executive Director of TI Japan. Let me tell you the story about how I blew a whistle on the waste of tax money by public servants in Japan. Before turning to journalism, I spent 10 years working for a government-supported labor […]
Elisabeth Kahler and Christian Humborg work with Transparency Germany and prepared the launch of “universitywatch”. Berlin: Until 2011 Deutsche Bank funded two endowed chairs, one at the Institute for Applied Financial Mathematics at the Humboldt University Berlin and one at the Technical University Berlin. The steering committee named to appoint the chairs represented both sides […]
When the phone rang, it was clear the caller was scared. He worked in the government, he said. He had information on a huge public tender that he needed to share. He had tried to complain to his superiors about the bidding process, but they had rebuffed his allegations. Now he wanted to speak out, […]
The OECD has accused France of not responding effectively to the problem of international corruption. The third monitoring report on France’s implementation of the OECD Anti-Bribery Convention did cite some progress: efforts have been taken to make businesses aware of the need to fight corruption and implement corruption prevention measures. But the rest of the […]
“Our country is a good student when it comes to passing laws. What is missing is their implementation because of the lack of political will” says Daniel Lebègue, chair of Transparence France. One of the world’s biggest exporters, France is not doing nearly enough to fight and prevent foreign bribery, say the OECD’s and Transparency […]
There is no such thing as an average consumer. The choices we make are shaped by our means, aspirations and priorities. We all give different weight to price, quality, convenience and ethical considerations. But it is impossible for us to evaluate all the products we buy and something we all share is that, ultimately, our […]
317 Pressure on what are alternatively called ‘offshore havens’, ‘tax havens305’ or ‘secrecy jurisdictions’ is reaching an unprecedented level. There are more than fifty such havens world wide, and governments are finally coming around to the idea voiced by activists that tougher regulation is needed. The economic crisis has lent urgency to the cause. Britain’s […]
- Libya’s Top 5 Corruption Scandals 28 July 2014
- Why governance matters for development: critics listen up! 25 July 2014
- Learning to lead the fight against corruption 23 July 2014
- World Cup winners and losers 16 July 2014
- Campaign for transparency in Maldives pays off 10 July 2014
- Three steps to (start) recovering stolen assets 12 June 2014
- How the G20 could unmask the corrupt 20 June 2014
- German-Greek arms deal corruption allegations stir renewed debate 6 June 2014
- From CEO to whistleblower 13 June 2014
- Czech construction job: honest official makes sure citizens win 17 June 2014
- javier: This happens in México all the times. So sad....
- TAPAS K. DUTTA: Nexus between the corrupt politicians, hypocrite m...
- francesco totino: A European Strategy for growth http://economicsan...
- La Cumbre del C20 en Australia | Transparencia Mexicana: […] Para conocer más sobre la Cumbre del C2...
- Derek Patterson: Shocking. Switzerland should be ashamed of itself ...