In a blog published by the Bertelsmann Transformation Index, China expert Christian Goebel speaks about Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign and how it is helping transform China from collectivist one-party rule to a one-person authoritarian system. In Transparency International’s latest Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI), China is among the countries with the largest decline in points, despite a […]
When the leaders of the 10 nations that make up the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) meet in Malaysia in April for the 26th ASEAN Summit, they need to be bolder in their approach to combatting corruption. Corruption will hold back investment in the region and stifle growth in both the public and private […]
Young people constitute a sizeable portion of the Asian Pacific population and tend to be particularly exposed to bribery and corruption as students, pupils, workers, customers and citizens. But young people can play a pivotal role in the fight against corruption, in Asia Pacific and beyond. While people from the older generation tend to see […]
Recently elected Indonesian President Joko Widodo passed one of the first tests of his integrity credentials on 16 January when he postposed the inauguration of Commissioner General Budi Gunawan, his candidate to take over as chief of police, pending an investigation into corruption allegations. One of the hallmarks of his campaign that helped him win […]
Malala Yousafzai’s Nobel Peace Prize should remind people that there are more children out of school in Pakistan (5.5 million) than any country in the world except Nigeria. But because of corruption, merely investing in the Pakistani education system is not sufficient; rigorous monitoring and the creation of an accountable system are needed to make […]
The big story in the Corruption Perceptions Index 2014 is that corruption seems to be getting worse in China, despite a two-year anti-corruption campaign.
The 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index scores of countries from Asia Pacific, the world’s fastest growing region, are a resounding message to leaders that, despite many public declarations and commitments, not enough is being done to fight corruption. Out of the 28 Asia Pacific countries in the index, which account for nearly 61 per cent of […]
Two years ago all the major donors to Afghanistan met in Tokyo to map a way forward for the war-torn country. Then president Hamid Karzai promised if the money kept coming in he would ensure it would not be lost to corruption. At the time Transparency International recommended a raft of measures aimed at curbing […]
Vietnam is one of the most attractive emerging markets for international businesses. Even though growth rates have slowed compared to a few years ago, they still look attractive in a challenging global economic climate. However, corruption risks and lack of transparency in key sectors are regularly pointed out as threats to competitiveness and sustainable progress. […]
An independent judiciary that is free of corruption and external influence is a vital component of a healthy democracy. Yet Transparency International Cambodia’s first National Integrity System assessment (NIS), shows that although it has made huge progress since the fall of the Khmer Rouge regime, Cambodia’s judiciary still has quite a long way to go. […]
- Chile must reform political party financing laws 5 March 2015
- El Poder de la Pregunta en El Salvador 2 March 2015
- The power of a question in El Salvador 2 March 2015
- ‘It has become more difficult to be corrupt in China’ 23 February 2015
- Secrecy breeds corruption 11 February 2015
- Major economies move on money laundering, but what about the Cayman Islands? 14 January 2015
- Secrecy breeds corruption 11 February 2015
- Corruption from Afghanistan and Russia to the USA: 3 new books 2 February 2015
- No such thing as a cheap lunch 13 January 2015
- Fighting corruption head-on in South-East Asia 2 February 2015
- India beats China at tackling corruption, but not by much - Firstpost: […] On its blog on the findings, Transparenc...
- Wilbur: I had high hopes for this website - but now I see ...
- Entre 175 países, Brasil fica em 69º lugar em ranking mundial de corrupção | O Jornal de Hoje: […] sua análise sobre os resultados da Amé...
- Secrecy breeds corruption | Transparency International-Philippines: […] Transparency International by Kevin [...
- Eva Sarr: Hello Paul I enjoyed your blog. Could you tell ...