Today is World Water Day. “Sin agua no hay vida” – “There is no life without water“ – so says Daniel, a minor yet important character in the movie Even the rain, a movie from 2010 about the water war in Cochabamba, Bolivia. He is right: water is life. Water is a human right. But [...]
Flashback to 2000. The United Nations and its member states gathered in New York to embark on a new century that was free from poverty and flush with prosperity. They set out a long list of commitments that they thought would end poverty within 15 years. Their pledges helped to re-energise efforts to fight poverty [...]
In September 2011, in the slum of Mumbai, the heavy monsoon rains were filling up sewage pipes to breakage point. The dirty waste from the burst pipes flooded the streets at an accelerated pace because of the continuous and strong rain pour. The residents of the slum had no choice but to walk those filthy [...]
Andrea van der Kerk, an independent consultant on projects related to water governance and communications, attended the event on behalf of WIN – a network created to respond to increasing concerns among water and anti-corruption stakeholders over corruption in the water sector. What is water integrity? Why is it important? How can it be promoted? [...]
Today is World Water Day, a day that is held annually on the 22nd of March to focus attention on critical issues linked to the water sector. Every year a different work area of the UN is put in focus and this year, the UN and the FAO are highlighting the critical link between water and [...]
All too often, climate finance initiatives are hampered by waste and corruption. More accountability is needed, argues Cobus de Swardt, Transparency International’s Managing Director. This article was originally published in The Guardian. World leaders meeting for this year’s climate conference in Durban will be under pressure to pool enough new funds to protect people from [...]
Annette Jaitner, Senior Programme Coordinator in our Africa and the Middle East Department, writes about an alternative approach some of our African chapters are using to engage people in anti-corruption work Our African chapters in Ghana, Liberia, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zambia are supporting poor communities to make their films that highlight the problems [...]
Donal O´Leary is a Senior Advisor to Transparency International. Last week I spent many hours in Brazil contemplating the power of water and water power. The city of Iguaçu is the perfect place to do this. Iguaçu is famous for its majestic falls, which are a World Heritage Site visited by thousands of tourists annually [...]
Last month marked an historic turning point in the provision of water services to the residents of Old Town Mombasa. On Friday 20th of May, members of the Mombasa Water and Sewerage Company (MOWASCO) sat down with local residents to sign a development pact formalising the relationship between water service users and suppliers. As part [...]
Overcoming governance challenges in the provision of public services like water requires more than simply pinpointing victims and exposing the wrongdoing of corrupt officials. Poor governance certainly has its victims, and those responsible must be held to account. But sometimes, instead of inciting further divisions, the most effective resolution to inadequate service provision is to [...]
- Thanks, British taxpayer! Thanks Royal Bank of Scotland 22 May 2013
- UNCAC Coalition asks UN meeting to take action for transparency and accountability 22 May 2013
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- Anti-corruption heroes: an interview with Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 15 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- Time to wake up Trinidad & Tobago: the Jack Warner affair 14 May 2013
- natural cellulite treatment: Have you ever considered about adding a little bit...
- Maya: When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify...
- omniahefeny: مركز كالتكس لاباده ومكافحه ...
- andrés: In Argentina, the capital of corruption!! http:...
- Clarissa: When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter