Young people constitute a sizeable portion of the Asian Pacific population and tend to be particularly exposed to bribery and corruption as students, pupils, workers, customers and citizens. But young people can play a pivotal role in the fight against corruption, in Asia Pacific and beyond. While people from the older generation tend to see […]
A number of doctors and a head nurse at a hospital in Nis, Serbia’s third largest city, were arrested last month for allegedly accepting bribes of up to €13,000 and using their networks to secure healthcare jobs for relatives. Such news echoes results from Transparency International’s 2013 Global Corruption Barometer, which revealed that 81 per […]
This week, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) published a ground-breaking report that dissects the massive and mostly hidden phenomenon of transnational corruption. Looking at more than 400 bribery cases across 41 countries that amounted to US$13.8 million per bribe, the report gives a glimpse inside the shadowy world of corrupt practices by […]
Once again, the Corruption Perceptions Index results are not fundamentally different from previous years: the majority of African countries still have a score of less than 50 per cent, which in our view depicts a situation of endemic corruption. In a continent with high level of economic growth rates (compared to many parts of the […]
Perhaps it should come as no surprise that out of 175 countries in the 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index, the once great economic hope of many – Turkey – suffered one of the biggest drops in score (down five points to 45 out of 100 on a scale where 0 is highly corrupt and 100 very […]
Three out of the bottom 10 countries on Transparency International’s 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index are from the Middle East and North Africa. Two of these three are in the midst of gruesome civil wars where lives are being lost daily. Iraq and Libya tell a story of a region in turmoil plagued with geopolitical insecurity, […]
The 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index does not show significant movement in the scores of the countries in the Americas. For the more cynical among us, this is a good sign as there is always the possibility of worsening. But the reality is that stagnation is not good news. Each year that passes without things improving, […]
The 2014 Corruption Perceptions Index scores of countries from Asia Pacific, the world’s fastest growing region, are a resounding message to leaders that, despite many public declarations and commitments, not enough is being done to fight corruption. Out of the 28 Asia Pacific countries in the index, which account for nearly 61 per cent of […]
Moldova is a small land-locked country of 3.5 million people in the heart of Europe and, amid all the turmoil in neighbouring Ukraine, we will be going to the polls on 30 November. Given our position, our large Russian-speaking population and our dependence on Russian gas, this election may determine how far Moldova can progress […]
This week’s announcement about the rigging of the foreign exchange markets marks one significant change: at last, the media and the Chancellor are using the word corruption to describe this behaviour. Today we take tough action to clean up corruption.” – UK’s Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne Since the financial crisis started in 2008, banks have been fined […]
- Youths from Asia Pacific unite in the fight against corruption 23 January 2015
- Indonesia: doing the right thing 21 January 2015
- Redefining success: incentives for cultural change in banks 16 January 2015
- Major economies move on money laundering, but what about the Cayman Islands? 14 January 2015
- No such thing as a cheap lunch 13 January 2015
- Corruption in the Americas: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly? 3 December 2014
- Asia Pacific: growing economies, growing corruption 3 December 2014
- Middle East and North Africa: a region in turmoil 3 December 2014
- Five reasons corruption is getting worse in China 3 December 2014
- Fighting corruption in Madagascar 16 December 2014
- Vote For Immunity Creates Image Of Impunity | YERELCE: […] a blog post : Is there any hope? publis...
- Billionaires: A lot of wealth, a lot of zeros and a lot of influence. | CSNBRICSAM: […] And this is just scratching the surface ...
- Claire Martin: Great piece Zuzana!...
- Mathias: Thank you for this post. It is also extremely diff...
- ¿Qué tan corrupto es tu país? Compruébalo en este mapa interactivo | United Explanations: […] y pequeños cargos públicos involucrado...