The G20 leaders meet in Australia later this year. Pressure is growing on them to build on the commitments from last June’s G8 Summit on beneficial ownership. That’s an obscure phrase for an ugly truth: corrupt individuals from around the world are able to hide their money through complex corporate and trust structures, such that when an […]
It takes a long time and great deal of good will, legal procedures and paper work to return stolen assets to the countries where they belong. In April 2014, Switzerland commenced the return of US$40 million of Tunisian assets linked to the former Zine El Abidine Ben Ali regime, which had been frozen in the […]
On 1 March 1993, the former administrator of the Italian Communist Party, Primo Greganti was arrested for accepting a 621 million Lire (about USD390.000) bribe. A few months earlier, another high level politician from the Christian Democratic party, Gianstefano Frigerio, had admitted in court that he received bribes for his political party. These two men were […]
Imagine you were asked to work seven days a week, with no lunch breaks and no overtime pay. That you were forbidden to take a five-minute pause, or even to sit down. And if you complained, you would be fired on the spot. Until recently, this was the situation that faced four female employees of […]
Transparency International’s chapter in the Dominican Republic, Participación Ciudadana, has taken its fight to the streets of the capital city – or rather the city’s street walls – as a form of non-violent protest against corruption, particularly the kind that goes unpunished. The “Lend me your wall” (Préstame tu pared) campaign, which also focuses on […]
El capítulo nacional de Transparency International en la República Dominicana, Participación Ciudadana, ha llevado su causa a las calles de la capital, o mejor dicho a las paredes de la ciudad, como una forma de protesta no violenta contra la corrupción, sobre todo, contra aquella que queda impune. La campaña Préstame tu Pared, que también […]
On 5 April 12 million Afghanis are expected to vote to select their next president. The leading candidates have expressed their fear of corruption on the day of the election: ballot stuffing, vote buying, impersonation and voter intimidation are likely to resurface as during the last presidential elections. An unfair election will tarnish the legitimacy […]
From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
As the Crimea crisis has developed, there have been calls to freeze Russian and Ukrainian assets in the UK. Russian money is unusual for two reasons. First, the sheer volume. Secondly, because there have been persistent allegations that a substantial proportion of it is dirty money – gained through organised crime and corruption in a […]
Saturday 8 March is International Women’s Day, and to mark the occasion we’re celebrating women corruption fighters across the world! All this week we’ll be interviewing some of the many remarkable women who fight corruption in our movement, and on Friday we’ll be profiling the women who spur YOU on to stand up against injustice. […]
- Learning to lead the fight against corruption 23 July 2014
- World Cup winners and losers 16 July 2014
- Campaign for transparency in Maldives pays off 10 July 2014
- Bangladesh: Cutting off our heads to cure a headache? 3 July 2014
- G20 anti-corruption meeting: progress, but without ambition 25 June 2014
- Three steps to (start) recovering stolen assets 12 June 2014
- How the G20 could unmask the corrupt 20 June 2014
- German-Greek arms deal corruption allegations stir renewed debate 6 June 2014
- From CEO to whistleblower 13 June 2014
- Czech construction job: honest official makes sure citizens win 17 June 2014
- javier: This happens in México all the times. So sad....
- TAPAS K. DUTTA: Nexus between the corrupt politicians, hypocrite m...
- francesco totino: A European Strategy for growth http://economicsan...
- La Cumbre del C20 en Australia | Transparencia Mexicana: […] Para conocer más sobre la Cumbre del C2...
- Derek Patterson: Shocking. Switzerland should be ashamed of itself ...