It was late 1992 and Peter Eigen was putting the finishing touches to plans that would see the launch of Transparency International in 1993. For several years Eigen, then a veteran World Bank senior official, had been waging a campaign inside the Bank and across the development aid community to build understanding of how corruption [...]
The Organization of American States (OAS) is a leading regional body for the countries of North, Central and South America as well as the Caribbean. Since its founding in 1948, it has been forerunner in the fight against corruption in member states and produced the first international agreement to fight corruption: The Inter-American Convention against [...]
Last week hundreds of Bulgarians protested in front of the Parliament, with some of them throwing tomatoes at the building of the legislature and calling for the end of corruption and “political hypocrisy”. Reuters and the Financial Times quickly asked if this was a “tomato revolution against corruption”: “Nikolay Kolev, better known as ‘Bosiya’ (Barefoot), [...]
Transnational organised crime has a turnover estimated at US$ 870 billion annually. That doesn’t count the misery and suffering it causes. Organised crime is intertwined with corruption and like corruption has to be dealt with on a global level, through international cooperation. This week governments are meeting at a UN conference in Vienna to discuss [...]
‘All countries share a responsibility to combat bribery’, according to the OECD anti-bribery convention. But a bribery case in Hungary that has seen action in several other countries, but not Hungary itself, is testing that principle. There is no obstacle stopping British or Swedish law enforcers who investigated the sale of fighter jets to Hungary [...]
Governmental and UN representatives responsible for enforcement of the 2003 UN Convention against Corruption met in Vienna two months ago to discuss the process for reviewing implementation of anti-corruption measures. Below is an excerpt of a speech that Ifthekar Zaman, Executive Director of TI Bangladesh, gave. Like many other TI Chapters around the world we [...]
By Pr. Abdelaziz Nouaydi and Saad Filali Meknassi of Transparency Maroc, who give a brief overview of the Arab Convention to Fight Corruption — from who’s in and who’s out, to the types of crimes it seeks to prevent. Fifteen of 22 Arab States have so far ratified or acceded to the United Nations Convention against Corruption [...]
The world will wonder whether Germany is not committed to the fight against corruption, even though only the United States has prosecuted more companies for bribing foreign officials, as required by the international convention they have signed: the OECD anti-bribery Convention.
Slowly but steadily the review teams in the UNCAC review process are completing reports covering the countries in the first year – those under review since July 2010. Of the expected twenty-six first year reports, nine have been completed according to published information. UNODC advises that several more reports are in the pipeline and that [...]
Transparency International’s Chair, Huguette Labelle, was interviewed by Benjamin Kessler for the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act blog. She talks about what she would change about the FCPA, why companies should make compliance a priority and the possibility that countries which score low on the Corruption Perceptions Index are hit hardest in the European debt crisis. [...]
- Les héros de la lutte contre la corruption : une interview avec Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 16 May 2013
- No defence for corruption in defence procurement 15 May 2013
- Anti-corruption heroes: an interview with Gregory Ngbwa Mintsa 15 May 2013
- Time to wake up Trinidad & Tobago: the Jack Warner affair 14 May 2013
- Too little transparency in new Czech law on political party financing 10 May 2013
- How to set up an offshore company in 10 minutes 9 April 2013
- Venezuela: The State as Election Campaign Headquarters 28 March 2013
- #offshoreleaks: 21st Century Journalism at its best 4 April 2013
- Iraq’s corruption legacy 3 April 2013
- How to fight corruption with online tools: best practice from Morocco 8 May 2013
- nike free 5.0 v4: Hi there! I just would like to offer you a huge th...
- Periodico Digital Noticias actualizadas de la Republica Dominicana.: Thanks for the great writeup. Them in truth was ob...
- Saffron X Diet: Howdy would you mind letting me know which webhost...
- Christian Louboutin Uk Pushes purchase High heel shoes is exclusive red ft-spun6: I see that you are using Wordpress on your blog, w...
- Georgiana: Appreciating the commitment you put into your blog...
Follow @anticorruption on Twitter
Latest news from Transparency International
- Public input sought on gold standard for corporate anti bribery practices
- Talking corruption and climate change in Latin America: live video stream
- La liberté d’expression en péril au Burundi
- Freedom of expression at risk in Burundi
- Bulgaria: Rock bottom election turnout exposes accountability failure of political class