From one corruption fighting organisation to another, hats off to Global Witness. Founder Charmian Gooch and her colleagues have been recognised for their stellar efforts to highlight the damage done by corrupt practices in the extractives sector. In her award winning TED talk, Gooch highlighted the role of ‘the facilitators’ – global banks and global […]
If you have not yet made it to the gym, fear not. Exchange that new year’s resolution for another: learn a new language. But make sure you learn one which has a more practical purpose than ordering a drink or finding one’s way to the swimming pool. It’s time to learn the lingo of bankers […]
Reposted from the blog of Transparency International’s EU liaison office in Brussels. Corruption thrives in the dark, dank corners where no-one is looking, and banking is no exception. Who had heard of the LIBOR benchmark until the rate-rigging scandal erupted early last year? Now it is a byword for bad behaviour in banks. This week, […]
The bail out of the troubled banking sector in Cyprus has taken on serious political overtones as the crisis deepens. During the past few weeks Cyprus has been accused of failing to combat money laundering and fraud and that Russian oligarchs seek refuge for their money in this “tax haven” country. Now the strongest members […]
Reposted from the blog of the Task Force on Financial Integrity & Economic Development Last week, the U.S. Senate Banking Committee held a hearing titled, “Patterns of Abuse: Assessing Bank Secrecy Act Compliance and Enforcement.” The committee called three regulators to testify: David Cohen, Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence, United States Department of the […]
It’s your bank. You see it. Walk by it. Use the cash machine. Get a loan. But is your bank paying taxes to your government, just as you do? Does your bank report on its profits or on how many staff it employs? In short, is your bank contributing to your community and your economy? […]
On 12 September 2012, the US Internal Revenue Service awarded Bradley Birkenfeld $104 million for providing information on how the Swiss bank UBS AG helped thousands of US citizens hide billions of dollars from tax authorities. Mark Worth, Transparency International’s Whistleblower Programme Coordinator, discusses what this means for whistleblowers and would-be whistleblowers everywhere. The big […]
The recent global financial crisis highlighted the need to broaden the discussion about regulation and oversight of the financial system. Transparency and related risk assessments of financial institutions have surged to the top of the agenda. In our study on transparency and disclosure of measures for reducing corruption risk among the world’s largest companies published […]
Samuel Beckett’s exhortation to “fail better” could also be applied to the EU banking sector. Time and time again, troubled financial institutions have been bailed out by the taxpayer because they have been perceived as “too important to fail”. The ability of a large number of banks to benefit from excessive risk-taking without fully absorbing […]
Reading about the Eurozone crisis in the newspapers, your natural response would be to think that Southern Europe has a problem of overspending. But it also has a revenue problem. The Southern European financial crisis and the envisaged tax Swiss-German law that would essentially launder illegal assets are two sides of the same coin. South […]
- Fighting for workers’ rights in Bosnia and Herzegovina 16 April 2014
- Anti-corruption street art: lend me your wall 15 April 2014
- Arte callejero anticorrupción: Préstame tu pared 15 April 2014
- Bangladesh factory safety in spotlight 10 April 2014
- Haiti: a new anti-corruption law brings hope 7 April 2014
- Teaching integrity in schools: Lessons from Italy 14 March 2014
- Russian money: too big to sanction? 10 March 2014
- Eu to freeze corrupt assets from Ukraine 5 March 2014
- Bosnians demand a change 18 February 2014
- Germany is ready to sign UNCAC – at last 26 February 2014
- μπομπονιερες βαπτισης: I must thank you for the efforts youve put in penn...
- e juice: I think this is one of the most significant info f...
- water damage restoration dallas tx: My spouse and i got excited that Ervin could carr...
- mbt sko salg: Debatten har gått høyt de siste dagene, ...
- Marian Koenigsman: Excellent post. I was checking constantly this blo...